What Course For Me

What Course For Me 2018-03-08T07:42:28+00:00

Depending on your boating requirements and experience different courses may be suitable for you. This section is a guide to help you pick appropriate courses.

We recommend that all people going to sea attend a VHF, First Aid, Dayskipper and a practical boating course as a minimum safety standard.

Click on the following statement that best suits you to see our suggested courses in addition to the above.

I’m an absolute novice, looking to buy a boat or getting into boating 2018-03-08T07:34:55+00:00

No problem, if you have already bought the boat, let us run a days private tuition for you on your own boat. This will get you up to a basic level so you are competent and safe to operate your boat. If you are still in the buying process, you can use our school boat on either a private basis or join a group of 3 students. We can formalise your training by providing a highly desirable RYA Level 1 or Level 2 qualification which are recognised worldwide (Even in countries requiring a licence).

I have been to sea a few times but would be nice to see if what my neighbour taught me was correct 2018-03-08T07:29:50+00:00

Sounds good, perhaps we should look at the RYA [Intermediate Course] for you. Along with polishing your precision handling we will also start getting into passage planning and get you navigating the boat. This is a great fun course with a big sense of achievement when you successfully complete some blind pilotage to target destinations.

I have only ever launched my boat from a trailer and anchored at a fishing spot, I’m looking to improve my precision manoeuvring in marinas and around other boats 2018-03-08T07:29:08+00:00

Ok, this sounds like you haven’t spent a great deal of time driving precisely in close proximity to other boats and in confined locations, lets get you on the RYA [Powerboat Level 2] We can add lots of new skills to your existing experience and teach you what to do if things go wrong.

I feel pretty comfortable skippering a boat I would like to take the boat out at night and rougher conditions. 2018-03-08T07:28:10+00:00

Let’s get you signed up to our RYA [advanced course]. This will compliment your existing skills and experience taking you to the soaring height of Advanced operator. This course includes rough weather handling techniques and precision night navigation. This course will give you the ultimate skills to be safe by day and night.

I’m a salty seadog and smoke a pipe, there is nothing you can teach me 2018-03-08T07:27:19+00:00

Give us a chance to convince you. Our instructors have worked for many years in the harshest of maritime environments around the world. They have learnt a lot from the school of hard knocks and would love to be given the challenge of teaching you things you don’t already know. Go on, give us a shot book on an RYA [Advanced Course] and if you don’t learn anything new, we’ll give you a free bottle of rum!

I’m off to work in the superyacht industry 2018-03-08T07:26:45+00:00

As a minimum you should get an RYA [Powerboat Level 2] This is required by most owners nowadays for crew to drive the tender boats. If it is a choice between a crew with a Level 2 and a crew without a Level 2 I know who I would employ. If you are already at Level 2 standard, we can assess your abilities in 4 hours and if you meet the standards we can award the certificate. Check out our great step by step superyacht crew guide HERE

Better still why not go with an RYA [Advanced] qualification? Puts you ahead of those with the Level 2. Please note you must have the relevant skills to pass an RYA Advanced course

I work for a company and drive a boat as part of my job 2018-03-08T07:26:00+00:00

Ok, well you should have a commercial operators license such as an ILM or LLO unless your organisation has what’s called a Part 35 exemption. We can talk you thorough what is required, drop us a line and we can help.

I’d like to learn how to cross a bar safely 2018-03-08T07:25:28+00:00

Crossing a bar need not be dangerous. If you are armed with the appropriate equipment and knowledge it can be a safe pleasant day out. Book onto our [Bar Crossing] course and let us teach you everything you need.

I drive a safety boat for a club 2018-03-08T07:20:56+00:00

The easiest job in the world, until something goes wrong, that’s when you wish you had attended our Club Safety Boat course. This course will give you all the skills you need to operate safely and fully understand what is required of you in this vitally important role.

What does XTE mean on my GPS and why is it beeping at me 2018-03-08T07:19:33+00:00

XTE or Cross Track Error means how far to port or Starboard you are off your assigned route. To learn more about this and a whole more cool stuff you never realised you GPS could do, sign up to our GPS Course

I didn’t know I could use a radar to find my location and help with navigation 2018-03-08T07:20:09+00:00

Yes with the use of the bearing line and range rings you can accurately find your vessel location. Sign up to our Radar Course and we’ll tell you all about this and how to get the most from your radar.